1-DAY CULTURAL TOUR
This 1-day cultural tour is a magical opportunity to connect with Kenya’s proud Maasai people in an authentic and interactive way by becoming part of the hustle and bustle of Maasai village life. Having maintained a semi-nomadic way of life on their communal lands for centuries, the Maasai are well-known for their distinctive dress, customs, and unique social and family structures, which include rites of passage and revered respect for elders. On this fun and insightful day, you'll take part in the rituals of the warriors, perform daily tasks with the women, and share much laughter and many ideas as you listen to fascinating stories about Maasai culture.
1. From Nairobi, drive into the rural Maasai heartland where one of the elders will take you on a tour to explain how the Maasai manage these precious lands. You learn about Maasai values, native herbs, and plants that are used for medicinal remedies, the importance the Maasai place on their natural resources like land and water, and help herd the cattle, which is their most sacred and treasured possession. A warm song and dance welcome await you at the village, and the wife of a village elder will offer to dress you in traditional Maasai shuka cloth or 'African blanket'. You'll also be invited to help out the women and learn their skills in constructing a new manyatta – a traditional Maasai homestead. It's a cultural tour like no other.
2. Time for lunch when you join the Maasai mothers to cook up a traditional Kenyan meal over an open-fire, and they'll share stories as they show you how to create your own piece of highly-decorative Maasai beaded jewelry. Then meet the young Maasai warriors, or morans, who explain their rites of passage as they become warriors, the defenders of the tribe. They teach you how to throw a traditional spear, climb speedily up an acacia tree in the event there are predators in the bush, or even the extraordinary jumping dance, which is how they demonstrate their prowess.
3. Your hosts impart knowledge of their ancient culture and are just as interested in your life as you are in theirs. This is why we call it Maasai Magic because we're constantly astonished by the magical moments that unfold as our guests and the villagers connect throughout the day.
Please contact us for more details.
The fee includes:
- Air-conditioned hotel transfers - we'll collect you at 9 am from your Nairobi hotel and drop you back at about 5 pm. Along the way, we’ll show you some amazing sights and magnificent countryside
- A light lunch
- Unlimited fruit, tea, coffee, and water