Visit Ruaha, Tanzania’s Best-Kept Secret
scroll down to explore
Despite being Tanzania’s largest national park, Ruaha is still relatively unknown. The vast wilderness in the southwest of the country covers over 4 million acres, yet is only visited by a handful of intrepid travellers every year, making it Africa’s new safari frontier.
The banks of the Ruaha are permanent hunting ground for lion, leopard, cheetah, jackal, hyena, as well as the rare and endangered African wild dog, who prey on the gazelle and impala who come to the river to drink. This wild and rugged wilderness is sure to offer a remote, authentic, and profound safari experience.
Top 5 Things to do in Ruaha National Park
1. Visit the village of Kalenga, the once fortified capital of King Mkwawa, the Hehe leader who acquired legendary status for his unyielding resistance to German rule in the 19th century.
2. Take a trip to the Isimila Stone Age Site, where the richest finds of Stone Age tools, including bones of prehistoric animals, were discovered.
3. Go on a game drive, which is particularly rewarding in the dry season when all the wildlife congregates at the river.
4. Enjoy birdwatching. With over 400 species of birds, Ruaha offers a great experience for any bird lover.
5. Choose unique activities to enhance your wilderness experience such as fly camping, walking safaris, or bush breakfasts/sundowners.
Go Green With Let’s Go Travel
Ruaha is vulnerable to human population expansion and poaching. By supporting certain sustainable lodges, you can help better the lives of the local communities, as well as assist in scientific research programmes and eco-friendly initiatives to preserve this valuable landscape and its wildlife for future generations.
Talk to one of our team members about how you can contribute to responsible travel in Ruaha
Create Your Very Own Ruaha Experience
At Let’s Go Travel, we can start with a blank slate and build a unique Ruaha safari that meets the needs and preferences of you and your traveling companions. Whether you want to design an entire safari itinerary from scratch, or slightly modify an existing one, we make sure all your desires are met!