World-Renowned Zanzibar Beaches
scroll down to explore
The Swahili Coast offers palm-fringed white beaches, pristine coral reefs, and a colorful history believed to go back some 2,000 years, providing a gateway for the trade of slaves, gold, glass, spices, and textiles. In addition, some of the best dive sites can be found around the Pemba and Mafia Islands.
Where To Stay
Surrounded by soft, white sand and crystal clear water, there is no shortage of ideal beach locations in Zanzibar, each being unique and mesmerizing in its own way.
Pemba Island boasts some of the world’s most stunning beaches. It’s also recognized as one of East Africa’s top locations for both scuba diving and game fishing, making it a popular place for active tourists.
Mafia Island is one of Zanzibar’s best-kept secrets, making it an ideal escape for those who truly want to get away from it all. Here you’ll find a string of small islands with diverse landscapes that stretch from tidal mangroves to subtropical rainforest.
Well known for its full moon parties at Kendwa Rocks, this is one of the best Zanzibar beaches for young people. Apart from this, the beach boasts bright blue and turquoise water and white sandy beaches for those looking to relax and unwind in a beautiful setting.
Located on the North-West coast of the island, Nungwi Beach is considered to be one of the most beautiful beaches in Zanzibar. The absence of strong tides guarantees tourists the pleasure of swimming and snorkeling in the crystal clear, blue sea.
A backpacker’s dream, here you will find cool coffee shops, bars, cheap hostels, and tasty food. It is also well known for providing world-class kitesurfing and windsurfing opportunities for the perfect serene, yet active, escape.
Pongwe beach is a delightful array of blues, greens, and turquoise, with perfect powder soft, white coral sand for any tourist looking to recharge their batteries in a peaceful, beautiful environment.
Top 5 Things to Do When Visiting the Zanzibar Coast
1. Explore the undiscovered on an incredible snorkeling adventure that will allow you to witness some of the most beautiful coral and marine life in the Indian Ocean.
2. Take a kitesurfing lesson and glide on a picturesque ocean and feel the refreshing winds as you ride the best possible waves along the Swahili coast.
3. Walk over water. A reef walk is a wonderful and truly magical way of witnessing the variety of marine life unique to Zanzibar island.
4. Swim with whale sharks. For the more adventurous tourist, here is your chance to see these beautiful, docile giants up close.
5. Visit Ngezi Forest Reserve. The dense and wonderfully lush Ngezi is one of the last remaining areas of the indigenous forest that once covered much of the island.
Go Green With Let’s Go Travel
Why not enjoy the stunning beauty and serenity of the Zanzibar coast while promoting the protection of its marine environment and livelihood of the local communities? There are many great initiatives including The Best of Zanzibar Eco Initiative and the African Impact Dolphin Conservation Project that responsible tourists can support to promote community development and marine conservation.
Talk to one of our team members about how you can contribute to responsible travel in Zanzibar