Take a Walk Down History Lane in Stone Town
scroll down to explore
A UNESCO World Heritage SIte, Stone Town was once a flourishing trading hub, and a vibrant melting pot of African, Arab, Indian, and European cultures. Here you will find vivid shades of every color imaginable, the pulsating energy of the seafront and markets, and friendly, warm locals who won’t hesitate to welcome you!
Stone Town is a fascinating living monument to the rich history of East Africa and truly an extraordinary place to explore for any tourist. Once the historic centre of the ivory, gold, and slave trade, today its ancient, narrow mazes are an intriguing and delightful web of markets, shops, and craft centres.
Top 5 Things to do in Stone Town
1. Explore the grand architecture. From carved rosewood balconies and barazas, to the famous ornate doors, Stone Town’s architecture is steeped in its own unique history and culture.
2. Visit the former slave market. For a deeper insight into one of Zanzibar’s darkest chapters, don’t miss a visit to the location of the world’ last open slave markets.
3. Go inside the House of Wonders, one of Stone Town’s most iconic fixtures, which offers brilliant insight into Zanzibari and Swahili cultures.
4. Take a trip to the Old Fort. In the 19th Century, this was a prison where criminals were executed. Today, you’ll find shops and an open air theatre that serves as the location for the Zanzibar International Film Festival.
5. Experience a sunset dhow cruise. Take in the striking Zanzibari sunset in one of these timeless boats under a while sail.
Go Green With Let’s Go Travel
Stone Town is the old city and cultural heart of Zanzibar and little has changed in the last 200 years. There are many ways to enjoy a responsible trip to Stone Town without compromising the integrity of the local communities or disrupting the centuries-old heritage that makes this small corner of the world truly magnificent.
Talk to one of our team members about how you can contribute to responsible travel in Stone Town
Error: API requests are being delayed for this account. New posts will not be retrieved.
There may be an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Your server might also be unable to connect to Instagram at this time.