Kigali, The Heartbeat of Rwanda
scroll down to explore
Kigali, with its lush hillsides, flowering trees, winding boulevards, and bustling streets, is arguably one of the most attractive capital cities in Africa, as well as one of the cleanest and safest.
Following the horrors of the 1994 genocide, Rwanda has emerged a cosmopolitan and charming city, boasting a slew of new skyscrapers, international hotels, and a host of excellent eating and bar options. Being right at the centre of the country, it’s a great base from which to organise your trip around Rwanda.
Top 5 Things to do in Kigali
1. Visit the Kigali Genocide Memorial, an intensely powerful and moving space which honours the estimated 250,000 people buried here in mass graves during the 1994 Rwandan Genocide.
2. Open up your world at the Inema Arts Centre, Kigali’s foremost modern art gallery which showcases local paintings, sculptures, as well as dance and music performances.
3. Take a tour of the Museum of Natural History, that exhibits Rwanda’s natural wonders. It is also reputed to be the first building in Kigali.
4. Go horseback riding just outside of Kigali on trails that run through the most breathtaking and varied countryside.
5. Spend an afternoon at Kimironko Market, where you can sample delicious local food and buy some beautiful and colorful Rwandan fabrics.
Go Green With Let’s Go Travel
Famously termed ‘Africa’s cleanest city’, Kigali is an extremely eco-conscious city and there are numerous projects and initiatives that have been formed to give back to the community, and protect and conserve the environment and the life of the local people. For the discerning traveler, there are a number of opportunities to gain hands-on experience with these projects through active participation.
Talk to one of our team members about how you can contribute to responsible travel in Kigali