Ruhengeri: Gateway to Rwanda’s Famous Mountain Gorillas
scroll down to explore
The bustling market town of Ruhengeri, now known by the new name of Musanze, has a memorable setting at the base of Virunga Mountains, offering a peaceful and spectacular setting for a remote holiday experience.
Ruhengeri is the closest town to the Volcanoes National Park and therefore well-known as being a convenient base from which to track mountain gorilla. On days not spent trekking, visitors can enjoy a pleasant stroll around town, or a short trek to the seldom visited, by lovely, Lakes Burera, Ruhondo, and Karago.
Top 5 Things to do in Ruhengeri
1. Visit Volcanoes National park and follow a family of Gorillas through the dense and lush forest, where you can get up close to these magnificent animals and observe them in their natural habitat.
2. For those seeking more exertion, there are treks to the top of the Karisimbi (14,763 feet) and Bisoke (12,175 feet) volcanoes available.
3. Visit the grave of Dian Fossey, the famous conservationist who worked closely with mountain gorillas and was murdered in 1985. She was the subject of the academy-award nominated film Gorillas in the Mist.
4. Visit the Rwanda Hot Springs, take a dip to soak up the important minerals, and learn about the inner workings of the volcano heating the springs from beneath.
5. Paddle across two of Rwanda’s spectacular lakes in a traditional wooden canoe, handcrafted locally.
Go Green With Let’s Go Travel
In their vision of reforestation and rehabilitation, there are some incredible Ruhengeri lodges at the forefront of conservation and sustainable tourism that encourage guests to participate in their biodiversity conservation efforts, engage and meet the local community, and learn about how to make a far-reaching positive impact on the iconic endangered mountain gorillas.
Talk to one of our team members about how you can contribute to responsible travel in Ruhengeri
Build Your Own Ruhengeri and Mountain Gorilla Experience
At Let’s Go Travel, our customizable Ruhengeri itineraries offer the utmost personalization for your activities and a timetable based on your exact specifications. Whether you want to design an entire safari itinerary from scratch, or slightly modify an existing one, we ensure all your desires and needs are met!